31 August 2013

25.8.2013 / Goodbyes


The first day of our five-day journey went by really fast. It was a real hustle of emotions during the whole day. Anxiety, happiness, excitement and some tears too.

I hate saying goodbyes. I promised myself that i wouldn’t cry, but i couldn’t help it.. So far i am counting at three times, haha:-) Hugging mum for the last time was the one what triggered my tears. In the other hand, I am so freaking excited to get this study year going in Groningen, but I am also so sad to leave all my loved ones behind. Knowing that we won’t be seeing each other in probably over 4 months. But thats not that long of a time, I keep telling myself. And I am not that far away either.

Regarding my exchange, I think and hope that everything is sorted. I am super nervous about the first day. I am so sure that the first thing I will do is get lost. What if nobody likes me, what if I mumble with my words and what if speaking english 24/7 takes its toll and that leads to panic and distress, I think to myself. I suppose I just have to live one day at a time and try to appreciate every single moment during my stay. Hoping all will sort out, I will make some great new friends, maybe even for life.
--

In the morning it was shine and bright early again. Packed the car( totally packed - full!!) and did some shopping, too. We went to see this  event called Design Tori, finnish designers selling their stuff at a market place, and we also picked up some essentials for my exchange such as some school supplies and basic tops.


Since I didn’t have any holiday after working trough the whole summer, the drive to Turku harbor went by pretty much asleep and taking in the last bits of finnish nature, one thing I will sure be missing. Everything sure looked a lot different looking at those like for the last time. I also received some farewell text from grandma and some friends, and just couldn't read them without crying. Unexpected, emotions really got to me. 


At last, when we made it to the ship we had some nice dinner, avec champs of course, and some tax free shopping. I bought a new day cream from Korres and souvenirs for my new friends; chocolate and liquorice. After all that, we found out that Matti ja Teppo would be performing not before than 12 o’clock in the evening. Disappointed we decided to head back to our cabin for a good night sleep of 7 hours. 


We sailed over to Stockholm with a new ship by Viking Line called Grace. Everyone had praised this new ship, and there had been a lot of positive marketing towards it so I kind of had my hopes up. Unfortunately the reality didn't live up to my expectations, but it was just fine. Not that different to the other boats to me. An upgrade for sure, as it still is quite new and clean etc but nothing that amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment