31 August 2013

First day of school: Welcoming day

Today was my first day of school at Hanze University of applied sciences in Groningen. I was so super nervous last night and this morning too, if I would find the place and the right people. Gladly we had agreed on Facebook with other students living in the same house as I do that we would walk together. So nobody got lost and we had a nice group of people to go with. Because today was also my first day seeing the campus, apart from Google Street view, I was anxious if I would find my way to the right place.

While walking to the school we had some time to get to know each other, even though I suppose everyone was as nervous as I was or just really tired from waking up early as the walk was quite quiet.

As we made it to the right building, there was some kind of a music machine "welcoming" us with creepy music. Later on we found out that it is one of Dutch culture elements.

At the campus I noticed that probably more than half of the students speak spanish/portuguese. Lots and lots of dark haired latino people. I did meet one fellow finnish student, though.

Before even going to the campus I was excited to sign up for the ESN introduction week, which would have started today but as we made it to the information market to sign up, it turned out that they had sold all the tickets. As the university had its welcoming day on wednesday or thursday, most of the tickets were sold before we even knew about the event.

Either way, I'm excited to start "real" school on monday and get to see my classmates and finally learn me some dutch!! I think I will get the opportunity to participate in a few parties throughout the year even if i missed the official introduction week parties.. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment