30 September 2013

Fierljeppen

Since ESN announced their first sport activity day, I have been waiting for this weekend eagerly. Yesterday, on Saturday we travelled 20 km from Groningen to a small village to explore the Dutch national sport, or something like that, Fierljeppen or Canal Vaulting.




Luckily, we had the most perfect day and weather for the activity; sun, no wind and quite warm still. I was a little unsure how I could act for the day, as I was feeling quite sick the day before. I could not hear anything with my right ear, as it was locked due to the flu. Recklessly I still went and tried.

First we had about an hour for practicing the technique and getting to know the sport. The basic idea was to jump over the water with an iron pole. Back in the days, the idea came from farmers, who wanted to cross canals and/or rivers but they didn't have the ability or capital to built bridges to every corner. So they carried a stick with them and by that, went over the water.

First the task seemed impossible, and I did not get the idea and my first try was morbidly horrible(see the video below).. I basically just fell to the ground with the stick. After a few rounds of practice, it started going better. While the others went forward to cross the water, I wanted to practice a few more times but finally was brave enough to cross the water too. My first attempt was not the worst but I landed a little bit into the water, so my calves got wet. But for my second try I landed on the sand safely and was really proud of myself!


Here I present you, our beautiful fierljeppen skills. For your entertainment:


No comments:

Post a Comment