1 September 2013

Last night

Yesterday was my first official day walking around the city and getting to know the places, in other words: shopping day!

I took my bike to a shop to get a basket installed and the light fixed, as it was broken. In the meantime, I decided to just stroll around the city center and see what is out there. 

My first stop was this adorable little shop, can't remember the name but I am sure I will visit it later again. They sell clothing, interior and other things from young designers. I bought the cutest little backpack by a spanish designer Depeapa. I just couldn't resist. The outlay of the shop and all they were selling were very scandinavian to me, and the seller also told me that they indeed are really fond of scandinavia designers.

Bag by spanish designer Depeapa/ Dress from Zara


While strolling down the streets of Groningen, I just popped in to every shop that looked nice. The diversity of supply was amazing. So many cool stores, and so much to choose from. I also saw some super stylish people! I am beginning to like this city more and more everyday.

I also found my way to Zara. So a lot of spanish shopping for me yesterday.. :-D I did buy a couple of things, but they were really nice and something I will need and wear a lot I think. 




At the Vismarkt there was a market sell going on, and I decided to look around. I was in heaven. Fresh vegetables and berries, flowers, cheese, pastries, bread... So much stuff! I want it all! I ended up buying an assortment of nuts, blackberries and raspberries. For lunch I had the "The Belg Waterloo" fries. There was a lot of people gathered around their van, so I figured it must be good. And it was. A little bit of spiciness and a lot of unhealthiness. Lunch on the steps of some old building while watching all the people passing by, I felt like I was on a holiday in some big city. I love the city hustle in here, SO different from Vaasa.


In the evening, me and another finnish student in here decided to head to the city for a beer or two. Everyone else was at the ESN party(which unfortunately was sold out before I even knew it) or just not up for anything, so the two of us went to see the town at night. We ended up walking around for like a half an hour, looking for some nice bar to sit in, nice city tour at the same time. It was quite quiet yet and nothing seemed that nice. Finally we ended up in one place and ordered us this special beer called Grimbergen. According to the waitress, that bar is the only place in the city where you could buy this beer. And to my surprise, it was really good! Very light beer, almost fruity to say. We sat outside watching the local people passing by.




The next place we went to was a bit further away on a little, silent alley. There were two people inside when we got there, but the owner was really nice. She told us how to say cheers in dutch(proost, I think?) and we also talked about the dutch drinking culture and such.



Snägäri dutch style 

I had a great time, even though it was just me and Mertsi, thanks a lot! It was nice to see the town a bit and get to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment