13 May 2014

Not all those who wander are lost, but I sure was

Today, an hour of my afternoon was spent wandering around the forest trying to find my way to the finish line, an hour full of both physical and mental struggling. So I went orienteering.

When orienteering you really need to trust yourself and your skills, or actually first you need to know how to do it and then trust yourself. But don't trust too much. No matter how good you or how "easy" the route is you still might find yourself feeling pretty lost and alone in that silent, misty forest. This happens to me quite often; I really trust myself and just keep on running until I have no idea where I am at because the place I was supposed to end up at is nowhere near the place I actually ended up being. And all I can see around me is a pile of rocks, trees and some more trees, maybe even a pit. Still somehow every tuesday I find myself queuing to pay 6€ for a map to be able to wander, get lost and get very angry for whoever came up with the route trough all those thick bushes and very wet swamps. The most rewarding part is when you see that white-and-orange flag with the right number on it and you are back on track. At that point you just forget that for the last 20 minutes you had no idea where you were at and just keep on running pointlessly ahead.

And also, it seems that peat is very good for your skin, so its a free pedicure every tuesday! Or a free map, 6€ pedicure and a pari of extremely smelly shoes; however you want to see it.
Obviously it wasn't a huge success for anyone else either as I ended up being 7th out of 24 and only 13 minutes behind

No comments:

Post a Comment