8 February 2014

Recipe book: Lemon Meringue Pie

Today I felt like baking, and this time I wanted to try something completely different. Usually I go for the easy recipes such as cupcakes, brownies etc. I have tried macaroons and of course made many cakes, but now it was time for something completely unlike.
I wasn't after anything too sweet, so I looked up some lemony recipes and came across a lemon meringue pie. It didn't seem to be very hard to make either, but looked really pretty.

I took the recipe from a Finnish blog Kinuskikissa.

This is what you need...
Crust:

  • Whisk together 3 ¼ dl flour and 2 tbsp sugar 
  • Add 175 g butter and pick to crumble
  • Pour ½ dl water and mix fast
  • Press into a pieplate and bake for 15 min in 200 °C
Filling
  • Combine 2¼ dl sugar and 4 tbsp of flour into a kettle
  • Measure 1¾ dl of water and 1dl of lemon juice (+lemon zest)
  • Stir together adding 5 egg yolks and 50 g of butter until bubbly
  • Immediately pour over the crust
Meringue
  • Whip 5 egg whites into a hard foam
  • Add 1¼ dl of sugar and keep whisking
  • Extrude on top of the cake
  • Bake for another 5 min
...and this is what you get
My try was ok I think. The crust was not cooked completely trough, maybe I had a smaller pie plate or something. Also the meringue did not turn out the best. Should have kept it lower and a little bit longer in the oven. The overall outcome was pretty good, I even made a few little meringue buttons from the leftovers to be used later. Now I will go and make myself a cup of tea and take another piece of this yumminess ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment