5 January 2014

Recipe book: Korvapuustit // Cinnamon buns

On boxing day I had a date with two of my dearest members of our family<3 Every once in a while I go to my grandparents to hang out, gossip and hear stories from the past. At the same time, somehow we always manage to bake these Finnish yummy treats "korvapuusteja". This time I even took some pics and figured to share my style of baking them.

This time together with assistance of my grandfather we made a huge pile of delicious buns! I would even say these were the best ones we have made in a while.. And they were so pretty too. But the best part of the day to me is not the buns but something even more yummy. Paappa makes The Most tasty meatless bolognese sauce(made with soy protein) and oh dear I'm in heaven every time I get to have it. I can taste the love it is made with and all the fine, well-thought ingredients. After eating too much of tagliatelle pasta and world's best bolognese, its time to lay down and listen for Mummi to play the piano and sing. I can not think of any better way to be spending a day off than this.
Cruelty-free bolognese ;-)
Now, here you can see my way of creating these beautiful Finnish national treats. Its a blessing to be a Finn! ;-)

First make the dough;
1. Warm up 1L of milk and add 2 tbsp of cardamom, 2 eggs, 2 tsp of salt, 4 dl of sugar
2. Measure 10 dl of flour and add 4 bags of "dried" yeast in to it and add the mixture to the milk
3. Measure about 15-20 dl more of flour and add little by little to the paste mixing at the same time
4. At some point you need to start using your hands. Finally, add 150-200g of butter and beat until the consistency is even
5. Leave for 0,5-1 hour to rise to double in volume

Rising, rising...
6. Take a piece of the dough and roll it flat
7. Spread liquid butter on it and then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top


8. Roll the square nice and tight ready to be cut in pieces
9. The peaces should be cut in little triangle-shapes like in the picture, to be able to make the shape of the bun correct later on

Cut with a sharp knife to make them pretty
10. Finally, take one of the triangles
11. Turn it 90 degrees so that the thinnest side is up
12. Press with one finger, almost down to the board
13. The piece shapes up with "ears" on the side, thats what the name comes from "ear buns". The sides should hold their shape well if you press deep enough.


14. Spread some egg on top of the buns to give them a nice shiny finish and also sprinkle some pearl sugar on top
15. Bake for 12 min. in 225 degrees of celsius



From the extra dough I also made a braid, "letvehnänen". Enjoy fresh from the oven with cold milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment